It is so nice to see how your child smiles. But it’s even more satisfactory to realize that the child’s teeth are not only beautiful, but also healthy. Teeth can hurt at any age, diseases of adults and children are almost identical, but there are also peculiarities in their development. Since enamel of baby teeth is softer, caries on children’s teeth develops much faster. In addition, in many cases, it is completely painless, so the absence of complaints in a child is not an indicator of dental health. It is very important to visit the dentist regularly, from the moment the very first teeth appear. After all, only an experienced specialist will be able to diagnose the disease onset and do everything to prevent its further development.
What can I do for my child’s dental health and smile?
Firstly, it is necessary to show the child with your example that it is natural for a person to take care of teeth. Brush your teeth together, to each other, turn the process into a fun daily ritual. It is very important not to miss a single cleaning, for any reason. The child must see that you never miss it. Even if you are tired, you don’t need to say: “ok, we’ll clean it tomorrow more thoroughly, but now we’ll go to sleep.”
Let the baby watch his toothbrush when it’s time to change it. Buy toothpastes together so that he chooses what taste he likes. When a child gets older, you can teach him to use an electric toothbrush and irrigator. The use of these devices significantly improves the quality of oral hygiene. If it becomes so common for a child, then he will take care of his teeth, thereby reducing the risk of various diseases. Modern dentistry offers an ultrasonic cleaning of the oral cavity. The need for this procedure, you can consult a specialist who is monitoring a child.
The first visit to the dentist – how to organize?
The most correct way is to pre-select a convenient clinic and a permanent doctor. Take your child to your own preventative appointment so that he sees how the doctor examines you. Next time, you can invite the child to be examined so that the doctor just looks, praises him. If the doctor will be familiar to the child, then in case of performing the necessary manipulations, he will no longer be afraid. Do not miss regular examinations at the dentist, go to them together, possibly with the whole family. Let the child know that both mom and dad have good teeth, because they care for them.
Why to treat baby teeth?
Compliance with all rules of oral hygiene does not guarantee that a person will never experience tooth decay or gum disease. Poor water quality, unbalanced food, genetic predisposition, stress increase the risk of tooth decay. Unfortunately, even in the modern world, many parents believe that if the tooth is milk, then it is not necessary to treat it. Especially if the teeth have already begun to change, and “they have little time left.
Let’s look at some of the reasons why having a bad tooth in your mouth is unacceptable:
- The presence of the rudiments of permanent teeth. Molar teeth do not grow out of nowhere. The rudiments of permanent teeth are already under the milk teeth. In the presence of caries, acids produced by pathogens can damage them.
- Pain. Even milk teeth can begin to hurt greatly, in which case, it will be much more difficult to treat the baby.
- Decreased immunity. Caries is a focus of infection that reduces general immunity and can lead to the development of chronic diseases of the oral cavity and pharynx.
- Bite change. If, due to caries, a child loses a tooth earlier than it should, the remaining teeth will begin to move in order to close the “holes”, thereby can displace the rudiments of molars and prevent them from developing normally.
- Smell from the mouth. Tooth decay causes an unpleasant odor, because of which the child may have problems with friends and peers.
- As you can see, due to decay of a baby tooth, a child can have a lot of unpleasant problems.
Category: Health and Wellness
Tags: children health, dental care