Akron Community Health Resources
Akron Community Health Resources (ACHR) is a federally qualified health center (FQHC) located at 1400 South Arlington Street in Akron, OH. In 1994, ACHR received funding from the Bureau of Primary Health Care to establish the first FQHC in Summit County, and the dental clinic began providing services in August 1995. The dental clinic offers diagnosis, treatment, and preventive services to Summit County residents and accepts Medicaid, Medicare, privately insured, and sliding-fee-scale patients. The center serves many uninsured individuals and ensures open access to the medically needy throughout Summit County and neighboring communities.
ACHR opened a second dental clinic at the Portage Community Health Resources Clinic (PCHR). Both clinics are planning to expand their hours to include evenings and Saturdays by January 2010. The clinics are currently staffed with three dentists, one part-time dental hygienist, three dental assistants, and two front office personnel. The clinics are seeking additional dental hygienists and dental assistants to enhance their ability to provide a complete range of services during their expanded the hours of operation.
The clinics receive some federal funding, but rely heavily on community support. The community has responded positively to the clinics’ mission to serve individuals and families with low incomes and those who lack access to oral health care.
- General health and oral health teams provide an integrated approach to health promotion and disease prevention.
- Children enrolled in Head Start who live in Summit or Portage counties or Barberton receive oral examinations, prophylaxis, and fluoride varnish applications.
- The dental clinic coordinates referrals with the nearby Akron Health Department prenatal program to help pregnant women obtain oral health care.
- The dental clinic provides HIV screening.
- There is a partnership with local WIC clinics to provide oral health assessments and fluoride varnish applications.
- Dental students participate in internships at the clinic.
- Medical students and residents learn how to apply fluoride varnish.
ACHR/PCHR are models of medical and dental care that are attuned to community values and patients’ needs. The goal is to serve with respect and compassion, and the response has been overwhelming. With a dedicated team that is committed to providing quality care, the clinics continue to “improve health one smile at a time.”
To make an appointment, call (330) 785-2044. Detailed information about the clinics is available online.
Logo used with the permission of the University of Akron Oral Health Initiative